Thursday, March 5, 2009

A Powerful Noise

I did something so unlike myself tonight, which is funny actually... I went and saw a documentary! The only docs I ever see are the ones I have a part in making, so this was fun! (not that watching my own aren't fun, but you catch my drift...)This inspiring documentary follows three extraordinary women -- in Bosnia-Herzegovina, Mali and Vietnam -- as they overcome barriers to lead day-to-day battles against ignorance, poverty and ethnic strife.

After the show, there was a live panel discussion by Madeleine Albright, Natalie Portman, Nicholas D. Kristof from the NY Times (we liked him), Christy Turlington Burns, and Dr. Helene Gayle, all of which are involved in women's rights and welfare around the globe. The discussion took place at Hunter college in NYC, but we watched it close circuited in Union Square.

I really enjoyed the show, there were some very touching moments. It was amazing to see how much impact one person could have on their community. Especially since what these people went through in their lives was so difficult to begin with. The panel discussion was pretty good, although neither me nor Heidi liked the moderator NBC news anchor Ann Curry (agenda!) but the rest of the peeps had something good to say, as they are actually involved in causes that help women struggling in countries around the world.

See this show! It's a good one! :)

No comments: