Tuesday, April 20, 2010

a Jack uh Hammer...

As some of you may remember, I ranted and raved recently when I was being driven crazy by jackhammers outside my NY window... followed by my reveling in the realization that I was moving to the suburbs where there are no jackhammers! My excitement was probably not unlike that of Papa Mousekewitz (from An American Tail) when he was certain there were "no cats in America".

Well, guess again.

I was awakened before SEVEN A-M on Monday morning with a familiar, if not horrendous, noise outside my window. My eyes were squeezed close, and I thought in a panic... Where am I? OH HEAVENS, what if I open my eyes and I'm back in New York?! - - - Delirium subsided, I opened my eyes and breathed a sigh of relief (I was still in Virginia). But how and WHY was I hearing jackhammers?!

Apparently, cleaning, blossoming flowers and blue sky's aren't the only things that Spring brings to Virginia. At my lovely little condo, so come renovations! And this Spring, some fancy pants decided that our sidewalks were a little too uneven. Big ORANGE X's mark each slab slated for jackhammer removal (most of which are right outside my window). And by the look of things outside, I'm guessing at LEAST three additional weeks of jackhammer mornings.I mean, it's not that bad, right? I only wake up at 9am, so jackhammering that starts before 7am will only destroy 2 hours of my beauty sleep... five days a week... for at least three weeks...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeeeyou! I HATE this! that sucks. 3 weeks! 3 weeks!

Anonymous said...

PS, I was confused as to where the Papa Mouskewitz was going, but good on you! Way to bring it all back to cartoons.

There are no cats in America, and the streets are filled with chee-eese!